We recommend all travelers entering Japan to use Visit Japan Web service
Visit Japan Web is a web service that all travelers entering Japan（including travelers from visa exemption countries/regions）can use for Quarantine, Immigration and Customs procedures in order to enter/return to Japan.
Visa Exemption Arrangements (short-term stay) for 68 countries/regions have been resumed from 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022.
Nationals from Visa Exemption Countries/regions do not need temporary visitor visa (a stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include remunerative activities).
- Types of visa and application documents
- Who can apply
- When to apply
- How to apply
- Processing time
- Visa fees
- Download forms
1. Types of visa and application documents
- Temporary visitor visa
For a stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include remunerative activities.
- Visa for Work/Visa for long-term Stay
To perform remunerative work in Japan, or to stay over 90 days in Japan.
- Working Holiday Visa
For Norwegian nationals aged between 18 and 30 years old.
2. Who can apply
We accept applications from Norwegian nationals as well as foreign nationals who reside in Norway with valid residence permit. Applications from non-residents in Norway (e.g. visitor visa holders) cannot be accepted.
3. When to applyThe validity of visa is three months and the period of validity cannot be extended. Thus, a visa applicant is recommended to apply for a visa at the earliest 3 months / at the latest 1 month before the scheduled departure date.
4. How to apply
- For visa application, applicants must visit consular section in person to submit original visa application documents. They may send an agent with a letter of attorney issued by themselves. An appointment prior to applying is not required.
- Application documents in electronic format is not acceptable. Please submit application documents in paper format.
- Application sent by postal mail will not be accepted in general. However, application sent by registered mail may be acceptable only when applicants live far from Oslo. Please note that the Embassy does not take any responsibility regarding any postal trouble such as loss of documents or delay of delivery.
- The Embassy does not return passport by postal mail, and thus the passport should be picked up by either applicant or agent with a letter of attorney at the Embassy after the visa application process has been completed.
5. Processing timeProcessing time is about 1 week in general, but it may vary in each case.
6. Visa feesVisa fee must be paid in cash at the time of pick up of passport and visa at the Embassy of Japan in Oslo.
7. Download forms
- Application form
- Letter of guarantee
- Letter of reason for invitation
- Overview of Company/Organization
- Schedule of stay
- Letter of attorney
8. InquiresJapan Visa Information Hotline
24 hours a day, seven days a week
Tel: (+47) 80 02 65 11
Embassy of Japan in Norway, Consular Section
Tel: (+47) 22 01 29 00
Haakon VIIs gate 9, 0161 Oslo
PO Box 4060 AMB, 0244 Oslo
Information regarding immigration and residency management systemFor inquiries regarding the immigration system and residency management system in Japan, please inquire the Immigration Bureau of Japan directly.
Immigration Bureau of JapanInformation centers
LinksForeign national coexistence policies
A daily life support portal for foreign nationals
Residency management system
Study in Japan