General information / Application procedure
- Applications from non-residents in Norway (e.g. visitor visa holders) cannot be accepted.
- The general examination period is approximately one week for temporary visitor visa / long-term stay visa, and one to three weeks for working holiday visa.
The examination period may vary depending on the details of the application.
- The validity of visa is three months. The period of validity cannot be extended. Thus, a visa applicant is required to apply for a visa at the earliest 3 months / at the latest 1 month before the scheduled departure date.
- Even if a visa is issued, permission to enter Japan remains at the discretion of the immigration authorities. We advise that you should take supporting documents with you for immigration inspection at the airport such as a return flight ticket, details of host organization and evidence of sufficient funds for your stay.
- Criteria of visa issuance
- For visa application, applicants must visit consular section in person, or they may send an agent with a letter of attorney signed by themselves. An appointment prior to applying is not required.
*An applicant for a working holiday visa is required to visit the Embassy in person. Please refer to working holiday visa for details.
- Application sent by postal mail will not be accepted in general. However, application (*except for working holiday visa application) sent by registered mail may be acceptable only when applicants live far from Oslo, such as Bergen or Trondheim. Please note that the Embassy does not take any responsibility regarding any postal trouble such as loss of documents.
*We do not accept working holiday visa application by post. An applicant for a working holiday visa is required to visit the Embassy in person. Please refer to working holiday visa for details.
- The Embassy does not return passport by postal mail, and thus the passport should be picked up by either applicant or agent with a letter of attorney at the Embassy after the visa application process has been completed.
ContactJapan Visa Information Hotline
24 hours a day, seven days a week
Tel: (+47) 80 02 65 11
Embassy of Japan in Norway, Consular Section
Tel: (+47) 22 01 29 00
Haakon VIIs gate 9, 0161 Oslo
PO Box 4060 AMB, 0244 Oslo